Prontosan Wound Irrigation Solution 40ml (Box of 24s)
Prontosan is a unique antimicrobial wound irrigation solution containing 0.1% Betaine (surfactant) and 0.1% Polyhexanide (preservative) used for preventing infections in acute and chronic wounds. Over 90% of chronic wounds have biofilm, which is a major barrier to wound healing. Prontosan is specifically indicated to prevent and remove biofilms.
How Does it Work?
Betaine is a gentle surfactant (detergent) molecule, structured with a hydrophilic head (attracted to water) and a hydrophobic tail (repeals water). Due to its hydrophobic tail, the molecule binds its self to the biofilm layer in the wound. When multiple Betaine molecules bind to the biofilm, their equally charged electric polar heads pull away from each other causing the biofilm to split open. Betaine molecules then engulf the biofilm, removing it from the wound bed and allowing the Polyhexanide to attach itself to the bacteria.
Polyhexanide (PHMB) is an antimicrobial molecule that is active against bacteria and yeast. PHMB is a positively charged molecule that acts as a magnet to the negatively charged bacteria molecules, causing it to bind together and pull away from the bacteria cell wall. Once the bacteria's cell wall begins to breakdown the cytoplasm (the fluid inside the cell) leaks out of the cell, causing it to die. Due to the PHMB molecule's positive charge, it then prevents bacteria from adhering to the wound, preventing re-formation of biofilm.
Areas of Use:
- Chronic ulcers
- Traumatic wounds
- Post-op wounds
- Thermal wounds
- Chemical wounds (acid & Alkali Induced)
- Radiation induced wounds
- 1st & 2nd degree burns
Benefits of Prontosan Irrigation:
- Removes and prevents the formation of biofilm
- Prevents infections
- Facilitates gentle dressing replacements
- Compatible with all secondary wound dressings, including silver dressings
- Improved patient outcomes, including time to heal
- No Inhibition of granulation tissue
- Suitable for use on children and newborns
- Well-known substances with low allergenic potential
- Can be used up to 8 weeks after first opening